Join reporter projects

Jan 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM
Edited Jan 29, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Why not join in one project: Exception Reporter and CrashReporter.Net ?

http://exceptionreporter.codeplex.com/

https://crashreporterdotnet.codeplex.com/

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:57 AM
Edited Jul 9, 2013 at 4:10 AM
As I said in this question on our project page, it seems that CrashReporter.NET has been copied from ExceptionReporter. They look the same.

I'm not sure, I may not have looked hard enough, but I haven't seen any acknowledgement of it.
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 6:44 AM
Edited Jul 1, 2013 at 6:47 AM
I'm not sure about what you're saying. I honestly appreciate the effort put by SimonCropp and you in Exception Reporter but believe me i didn't use any of the code from the Exception Reporter project. I just used your interface design ideas. Surely i can give you credits for interface design ideas you put in Exception Reporter.
Jul 1, 2013 at 6:59 AM
Thanks, good question about it.

Finally, not CrashReporter.NET has been copied from ExceptionReporter?

Anyways, I honestly appreciate the effort for both projects.

For a newbie programmer, better is only project about it, using good patterns. Join efforts and share with community.
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:22 AM
Apologies, I thought I was looking at identical code but must have been mistaken.
So why would anyone want to use CrashReporter.NET over ExceptionReporter, do you think?
Coordinator
Jul 1, 2013 at 7:27 AM
On 01-07-2013 11:52, PandaWood wrote:

Apologies, I thought I was looking at identical code but must have been mistaken.
So why would anyone want to use CrashReporter.NET over ExceptionReporter, do you think?
Support for .net 2.0. Nice organized html crash report delivered directly in to inbox. Easy Setup with using gmail as smtp server with two factor authentication. Easy to modify because of less code used to create the library.
Jul 2, 2013 at 5:03 AM
Edited Jul 9, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Interesting.
So may I comment on this.

I do see support for .NET2 as something that might be worth having, however HTML formatting, for a developer's inbox, is something I would at least want an option to not have. The HTML you have looks like it was created in Word because it is very verbose. I wouldn't like to have to modify it.

Actually our code for sending via SMTP is almost identical. How do you figure that you are catering for 2-factor authentication? Maybe there's something I don't know about this.

It's very important for us to not require an SMTP server setup. Hence we also allow for MAPI - which will simply open up the user's mail client (eg Outlook) and attach the screenshot etc

There are other problems, such as your screenshot only taking the main (Desktop) monitor and ignoring other monitors but I've mentioned this already in the thread in ExceptionReporter discussion.

The last thing is. You have no unit tests.
"Less code" is not the only factor in making code "easy to modify".
Jul 10, 2013 at 5:43 AM
Hi ravi15,

In fact, maybe I've got this wrong, but it seems to me that "2-factor authentication" is exactly what you don't want to use if you have clients all around the world, logging into your gmail's SMTP server? (which also has a limit of 500 emails sent per day, before it gets locked)
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2013 at 6:34 AM
On 10-07-2013 10:13, PandaWood wrote:

Hi ravi15,

In fact, maybe I've got this wrong, but it seems to me that "2-factor authentication" is exactly what you don't want to use if you have clients all around the world, logging into your gmail's SMTP server? (which also has a limit of 500 emails sent per day, before it gets locked)
No one will write application that crashes all the times so there is no problem in 500 emails limit. According to google two factor authentication is very safe. It's like generating api key for your application. So i believe security is no concern, if someone tries to see your email and password using reflector or dot peek. Html emails are very useful. it provides hierarchical crash reports of inner exceptions as well. So i should say that html reports feature is very useful. Your library is also great. But windows 7 comes with .net 3.5 and i want my apps to run on .net 3.5 so i decided on creating CrashReporter.Net taking your ui design as an inspiration. Why not share the other developers this library? It proves very useful to me. Now I can resolve errors easily in my apps. So can other developers using this. Also multi monitor support is worth having but i don't think many people uses multi-monitor pcs.
Jul 11, 2013 at 4:53 AM
Thanks,

I see, but "2 factor authentication" (or as Google calls it "2-step verification") is used to make sure that no one else uses your email unless it's from a certain machine - basically that anyone who uses your email also must have your mobile phone as well.
So I would think that "2 factor authentication" is what you shouldn't use, if your using the email for public purposes - as you would in this case. Because it won't work unless they have your mobile phone, basically. Does this make sense?

Yes, it's all up to your requirements.
Many of our users have multiple monitors & our users will already have the .NET version we forced them to install.
I need to get the exception stack trace into VisualStudio, so I don't really want or need HTML.
Coordinator
Jul 11, 2013 at 5:53 AM
On 11-07-2013 09:23, PandaWood wrote:

Thanks,

I see, but "2 factor authentication" (or as Google calls it "2-step verification") is used to make sure that no one else uses your email unless it's from a certain machine - basically that anyone who uses your email also must have your mobile phone as well.
So I would think that "2 factor authentication" is what you shouldn't use, if your using the email for public purposes - as you would in this case. Because it won't work unless they have your mobile phone, basically. Does this make sense?

Yes, it's all up to your requirements.
Many of our users have multiple monitors & our users will already have the .NET version we forced them to install.
I need to get the exception stack trace into VisualStudio, so I don't really want or need HTML.
You can generate separate password like api key to use it for your application. So there is no need to provide mobile number for that. Users can generate password for application and use it for authentication in smtp server and they can create successful smtp connection from anywhere in the world.
Jul 11, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Edited Jul 11, 2013 at 6:24 AM
ravi15 wrote:
You can generate separate password like api key to use it for your application.
Right, I understand what you're saying.
But this is not "2 factor authentication" is it? I think you've just used the wrong words to describe what you're doing.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57586014-83/two-factor-authentication-what-you-need-to-know-faq/
Jul 11, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Interesting. We hope you can join efforts and share with community, new improvements. Thx
Coordinator
Jul 14, 2013 at 6:45 AM
On 11-07-2013 10:53, PandaWood wrote:

ravi15 wrote:
You can generate separate password like api key to use it for your application.
Right, I understand what you're saying.
But this is not "2 factor authentication" is it? I think you've just used the wrong words to describe what you're doing.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57586014-83/two-factor-authentication-what-you-need-to-know-faq/
I think i used right words. You have to login using 2 steps like through sms and username and password. but google provides way to generate application specific to use as smtp server. Just try the gmail two factor authentication and see it your self.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833?hl=en

But according to following blog post Applications specific passwords are vulnerability in two step authentication. So, it is advisable to make sure you use tools like Eazfusctor.NET or any obfuscation tool to protect your email and password from being seen.

https://blog.duosecurity.com/2013/02/bypassing-googles-two-factor-authentication/

I also want to implement the Uservoice SDK to send crash reports but it requires .NET 4.0.